Sailing through the waters of the Atlantic along the coast of the homeland of Magellan and Vasco da Gama is a dream to fulfill which thousands of yachtsmen come to Portugal in summer and winter. The season lasts all year round. Read about the ideal weather and other advantages of renting a yacht in Portugal in our article.
Why do yachtsmen prefer Portugal?
This is the sunniest region in Europe. A cloudy day is a rarity for local latitudes. Here is a subtropical zone with mild winters and summers without heat. Winds are strong enough to help yachts on their routes but not so catchy to create significant discomfort.
A suitable climate provides a long list of benefits:
- convenient coastal infrastructure with an ever-increasing number of marines;
- the beauty of the coastline — in whatever direction the route lies, the views of sandy beaches and wild rocks are captivating;
- ancient architecture, houses and churches of the Age of Discoveries — in each port there is where to go for a walk and what to sightsee;
- a variety of routes — most of the coastline is suitable for mooring, so you could come here for many years in a row and each time go by a new route;
- educational opportunities — there are many schools and clubs in the country that offer courses for skipper-beginners;
- additional entertainment — while the ship is on service in the marina, you could go surfing or diving, including wreck diving (trips to the scuppered ships).
The regattas take place year-round. In some of them, both amateur and professional crews may participate. For example, race class RG44 which starts in Cascais at the end of September. It increases the demand for ships, so the charter for the time of the popular regattas must be taken care of in advance.
Yachting features in the region
Portuguese yachting could be a walk along the mainland coast, cruise between the Azores or a trip to Madeira. Traditionally, ships are rented for a week — from Saturday to Saturday, still, in Portugal it is easy to arrange rentals for a few hours or a couple of days.
To do this you must submit one of the documents:
- GIMS (category must correspond to the selected vessel);
- yacht captain diploma.
A radio operator license is not required.
Basic yacht routes
Ocean coast is divided into western and southern. These are the main directions for yacht trips.
Consider them in more details:
- Western branch. Local ports are often located on canals or in the mouths of rivers that flow into the Atlantic. By a river, you could go inland. For example, the Guardian is 20 miles navigable.
- Southern branch. Ports are convenient for mooring, in many ones there are the service centers for yachts. The closer to the Atlantic, the more lively the coast becomes. The region is suitable for lovers of outdoor activities, nightclubs and noisy tourist get-togethers. Those who want to enjoy the beauty of nature in peace should move to the East.
The cruises around the islands and the Lisbon outskirts are also popular.
Why is it worth renting a boat from us?
Sailica simplifies the life of a yachtsman. To organize a cruise just select a ship in the site and leave a request for it. We will call you back at a convenient time to discuss the price of a yacht rent, the possibility of discounts, the details of a future trip. You will get answers to all the questions and learn what you need to know when planning a vacation in a particular region.
Portugal is a country in Western Europe, which combines in a remarkable manner a rich history and its preserved monuments, modern architecture, beautiful nature, and clean sea. It is perfect to visit Portugal in May or in September-October. At this time the water there is already (or still) warm, but prices are much lower than at the height of the season. The cost of a holiday in Portugal in summer is very high, especially if you do not book accommodation in advance.