Portimao is a large resort town. It is located in the west of Portugal. It is considered the center of Portuguese yachting. In the city's marinas, you can rent catamarans, sailing and motor yachts of all models and classes. In the old part of Portimao, we recommend looking at the ancient architectural objects. It looks especially beautiful from the sea.
For centuries, Portimao has been the center of fishing and shipbuilding. Now it is a resort with yachting as the main attraction. There is a wide variety of ships, a comfortable marina and a season that never ends.
Sailing trip in Portimao
The settlement on the coast of the European Atlantic was founded by the ancient Greeks, and after them the Romans, Carthaginians, Phoenicians, Visigoths and Arabs used to live here. All these ethnic groups were known as the skilled navigators.
Portimao is the southern Portuguese port. It stands at the mouth of the Arade River that flows into the Atlantic
The place attracted sailors as a convenient port with the safe bays. Today yachtsmen appreciate the trouble-free mooring and the fact that the ships are protected from a storm as well. A strong wind rarely gets up here.
It is a good place for beginner skippers, especially since in the neighboring Faro situates one of the largest Portuguese sailing schools. There is also an airport 70 km far from Portimao.
It makes sense to arrive a couple of days before the cruise start to visit at least the main local places of interest and to try some entertainments:
- the vast Praia Rocha beach with golden sand, azure waters, cliffs and grottoes;
- one could hook the main local edible fish — mackerel — right on Praia Rocha;
- if fishing does not attract, the spicy mackerel with onions and tomatoes could be ordered in numerous local restaurants; another typical local dish is grilled sardines;
- after lunch it’s a perfect time to go for a walk to admire the balconies of old houses decorated with colored ceramics to see the Jesuit college, monastery, the fortress of St. Catherine and much more;
- or to go to the suburban orange trees plantation.
For children, there is a dolphinarium and an aqua park. It’s convenient to come here by any crews — with friends, beloved ones and with whole family. In the city, there are the entertainments for yachtsmen of all ages and habits.