Cephalonia is the largest Greek island in the Ionian Sea. Yachtsmen arrange trips along its coast or make it one of the cruise points through the Ionica waters. What is worth seeing on Cephalonia and how could you rent a yacht here?
Yacht recreation features
There are both historical and natural sights here. While planning a yacht route you could give a day to see:
- the fortress of St. George (its construction started almost a thousand years ago);
- the monastery of St. Gerasimus (it is called “new Jerusalem”);
- the Venetian Castle (there is a Myrtos beach behind it, awarded with UNESCO blue flag for its cleanliness);
- the underground caves (you could sail there by boat);
- Enos National Park (it is a place where wild horses inhabit, and pine forests, called the most beautiful in the world, grow).
There are few cafes, souvenir shops and noisy tourist get-togethers on the coast. You should wharf here if your aim is peaceful beach recreation with some sightseeing.
What do you need to know about renting a yacht on Cephalonia?
There is very few private rental boats. If you definitely want to hire a local ship, then you need to think about booking for at least six months beforehand. It could also help you to reduce the price of the charter.
There is a wide choice of sailing and motorized vessels for rent on the neighboring islands. You could start from Corfu or Lefkada.
Here is one of the elaborate weekly routes for these waters:
Marina Lefkas — the port of Spilia — the port of Kalamos — The port of Vathi — the port of Poros — Friscardo — Atheni — Marina Lefkas.
The standard Greek rent system is applied. As for the weather, the Ionian Sea is calmer than the Aegean one, so for the beginner skippers it makes sense to gain some experience here. The wind strength rarely exceeds 6 points on the Beaufort scale. Yachtsmen prefer the east coast of the island because most of the protected harbors, safe for ships in any weather, are located there.
Leave a request for your favorite boat and we will contact you for a personal advice about the trip.